Pioneering from the Start
A history of firsts in interventional cardiology
For more than 25 years, the Biosensors International Group (“Biosensors”) has been designing, manufacturing and marketing innovative medical devices used during heart surgery and intensive care treatment.
Continually striving to be at the forefront of product innovation, with a focus on improving patient outcomes today, we are driving the development of tomorrow’s next generation medical technology.
In the year 2000 we entered the interventional cardiology market and immediately became the first cardiology company to develop and patent their own proprietary limus agent, Biolimus A9™ (BA9™), a highly lipophilic1 anti-restenotic drug designed for cardiovascular stent technologies.
We were also the first stent company to develop and launch a biodegradable polymer stent with only the abluminal side coated with polymer and drug to reduce systemic exposure2.
Over the last two-decades Biosensors has become one of the largest manufacturers and suppliers of cardiovascular stents globally.
Our interventional cardiology products are designed to optimize patient outcomes.
Carbon Footprint Reduction - Sustainable Strategy
Biosensors International strives to reduce its waste through the implementation of lean manufacturing and continuous improvement initiatives, such as energy saving and recycling processes.
Biosensors International has adopted a systematic approach with the implementation of an environmental management system that aims to contribute to environmental sustainability. As a result, three sites are now ISO 14001:2015 certified: the manufacturing site located in Singapore (certified in August 2018), the European warehouse in the Netherlands and the European headquarter offices in Switzerland (both certified in March 2019). Such environmental management system supports Biosensors International's commitment to contribute to protect the environment and respond to changing environmental conditions in balance with socio-economic needs.
We are committed to:
- Build awareness in our company as well as other persons working under our company’s control in relation to our Environmental Management System and environmental performance, in order to enhance knowledge and promote behavior to achieve continual improvement
- Identify and having access to compliance obligations and understand how they apply to our company to ensure fulfilment of our compliance obligations
- Generate appropriate operational controls in order to protect the environment, including prevention of pollution: promoting the use of sustainable resources, striving for recycling, and maximizing the use of primary sources of energy
Towards this end, our key objectives include:
- Continuously improving the efficiency and sustainability of our business activities and products using a life cycle perspective, resulting in the lowering of greenhouse gas emissions and water use wherever feasible
- Minimizing the generation of hazardous and non-hazardous waste and recycling wastes wherever feasible
- Reuse, recycle, composting materials and conserve energy wherever feasible.
Our Key 2023 objectives are:
- Reduce use of paper by introducing electronic platform in several key business processes
- Reduce colour printing by 3%
- Replace all ink-cartridge type of printers in order to reduce cartridge wastes
- Install capacitor bank for chiller system to reduce electricity use (estimated saving by 8% per month)
- Reduce the usage of shipping cartons by 3% (reuse of shipping cartons)
- Achieve REACH compliance for all products
- Recycle labelling and packaging materials used for R&D testing
- Develop a tool to measure the carbon footprint of trials and identify which elements of trials are carbon heavy
Sales & Marketing:
- Stay at the same level than total quantity of flight travels compared to CY22 by monitoring the flight trips of all the BESA team members
- To work with eco-responsible suppliers for 80% of our global and regional congresses, including our ATS meetings and internal meetings such as Kick Off, Sales meetings
- Not exceed 700 kWh/year per employee.
- Reduction of scrap by 20% compared to max. expected scrap in CY23 (5337 pieces)
- Improve the “first me use” policy to reduce by 30% the short UBD product stock (5075 pieces expiring in H1 CY24) and hence avoid scrap
- Reduction of total units shipped (Intercompany-shipments) by 20% compared to CY22
- 10% Decrease the normal heating (gas) compared to CY22.
We Touch Patients Lives with Pioneering Medical Technologies
Biosensors manufactures and markets innovative medical devices for interventional cardiology.
Our aim is to improve patients’ lives through pioneering medical technology that pushes the boundaries of innovation.
Through our high quality medical devices we impact the lives we touch and we are committed to continued investment in the development of pioneering medical technology, robust clinical data and engineering new medical devices that will further benefit your patients.
This will create the greatest possible patient outcomes and provide value to our stakeholders including customers, employees, communities and shareholders.
The Biosensors International Group has operations worldwide and is headquartered in Singapore. The European headquarters are located in Morges (Switzerland). With the combination of a direct sales network and distributors across the world, Biosensors is dedicated to serving the needs of the healthcare community and is committed to, the support of bona fide medical education, advancing the progress of medical science and improving patient care, through training courses, scientific summits and symposia and related events on a regular basis, both in international forums and at national level. Biosensors also participate in some of the major cardiology congresses throughout the world - doing so in a way that complies with all ethical and legal requirements.